Jumping on the movie-quotes train. It was harder than I thought, because apparently a lot of my favourite films just aren't that quotable.
1. Pick one dozen movies that are ones that you have special feelings about. 2. Pick a few lines of dialogue that mean something to you. 3. As people guess the film, strike out that entry. 4. If possible, after the film is guessed, explain why that movie made the list.
1) "You see that city over there? THAT'S where I'm supposed to be. Not down here with the dogs and the garbage and the fucking last months newspaper blowing back and forth. I've had it with them, I've had it with you, I've had it with all this -- I WANT ROOM SERVICE! I want the club sandwich. I want the cold Mexican beer. I want a ten-thousand dollar-a-night hooker! I want my shirts laundered like they do... at the Imperial Hotel... in Tokyo..." (Johnny Mnemonic. Guessed by cramit and fornikate -- Regarded by many as the Worst Movie In the History of Movies, Ever. Fuck you, I like it. Hank Rollins is in it.)
2) "I'm in a hostile environment. I'm totally unprepared. And I'm surrounded by a bunch of guys who probably want to kick my ass. I feel like I'm back in high school." (Mortal Kombat. Guessed by corsiva -- I was in e-mail exchange with Robin Shou back when the Internet was new. I liked the second game, and this movie was funny.)
3) "Hi. I'm, uh, I'm a pet psychiatrist. I sell couch insurance. Mm-hmm, and I - and I test-market positive thinking. I lead a weekend men's group, we specialize in ritual killings. Yeah, you look great! God, yeah! Hi, how are you? Hi, how are you? Hi, I'm Martin Blank, you remember me? I'm not married, I don't have any kids, and I'd blow your head off if someone paid me enough." (Grosse Pointe Blank. Guessed by lennaofmidearth -- No one does on-the-verge-of Neurotic like John Cusack.)
4) "You know, you Irish cops are perking up. That's two sound theories in one day, neither of which deal with abnormally sized men. Kind of makes me feel like Riverdancing." (The Boondock Saints. Guessed by shadiness -- Willem Dafoe in drag. And the subtext, omg the subtext.)
5) "Now, I'm not saying my way would have been any different had my mother been alive. Because that's all you hear in the joint: 'Oh, I never had a chance'. No. Bullshit. I was already a mean little bastard while my mother was alive, and I KNOW it."
6) "I beg to differ, infant. We're on quite intimate terms, unless you can prove otherwise." (The Three Musketeers. Guessed by shadiness -- Tim Curry as a Cardinal! All red. I loved pretty much everything about this movie when it first came out.)
7) "I come home one day and the house is completely empty, and I mean completely empty. She even took the icecube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the icecube trays out of the freezer!"
8) "So let me get this right. They defrosted you just so you could lasso my piddly ass? Damn, you've been had." (Demolition Man. Guessed by corsiva -- Weasley Snipes always reminds me of my cousin in this one. And Stallone *is* funny, he's funny like whoa.)
9) "It's always 'Get out of the booth, you can't stay in the...' I like it in the fucking booth, all right? It's my whole world now. This is my booth, and I'm not coming out, ever. All right? Never!" (The Phone Booth. Guessed by lennaofmidearth -- This movie surprised me, because the premise didn't seem that interesting at first glance. Great dialogue, and Farrell carries it well.)
10) "I'm Sergeant Madigan, Vice, and if you cop a 'tude, jerkoff, I will see to it you spend the next ten years in prison getting ass-fucked. And if the case is thrown out because my arrest is too violent, then I will personally HIRE men to ass-fuck you for ten years. So if you're an ass-fucking fan, go ahead and mouth off, but meanwhile you're under arrest for the crime of prostitution. Now shut the fuck up before I cut out your kneecaps and use them as ashtrays."
11) "Just because the fucker's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda!"
12) "Now comes the part where I relieve you, the little people, of the burden of your failed and useless lives. But remember, as my plastic surgeon always said: if you gotta go, go with a smile." (Batman. Guessed by _hannelore -- This was a fucking Oscar winning performance, all the way.)